Students will use concept maps to organize information as they explore a website about rocks and minerals.
These activities can be done in a variety of classroom settings. With one computer and a projection device the whole class can do the activities together. If a few computers are available students can work in cooperative groups to complete the tasks and compare their results. In a computer lab, students would be able to work independently.
Minerals and Rocks Website
- Anticipation Guides
- Students will use these guides before they begin reading about minerals
and then rocks to activate their prior knowledge of the topic.
- Concept Maps
- As students read the web pages about minerals and rocks they will
complete these Inspiration diagrams.
- Complete the Anticipation Guides
- Students should complete the anticipation guide they started earlier
and compare their answers now to those they recorded before reading.
- Arrange the Concept Maps
- This inspiration file contains all of the symbols from the concept
map but they are randomly arranged and are not connected. Students are
to arrange and connect the symbols to show understanding of the concepts
from the reading. The print version can be used by cutting our the shapes
and pasting them on posters.