Using Timeliner for Word Wall and Vocabulary
Objective: Students will alphabetize words. Students will define and/or use words correctly in a sentence.
1. Write a list of words on the board, either from your word wall or a vocabulary list. Be sure that the words are not in alphabetical order.
2. Have the students put the words in alphabetical order.
3. Have the student open the Timeliner program and choose "NEW", then "Custom" for the type of timeline.
4. Students may hit "cancel" where it asks for units.
5. In the "when" column, have the students type the number 1, then the first word under the column "What". Continue this until all the words have been entered. (This also helps them practice spelling). This is all done in the data view. If you are wondering what view you are in, hold your mouse over the pictures above "WHEN".
6. Next, have the student press the banner view button. They can move the words up and down by clicking and dragging on the banner.
7. Next, have student double click on the word. Then click on "NOTES". Here, the student can write the definition, sentence or both. They may also want to add a picture. If you want to get real fancy, you could record the student reading the word and definition and import it--this is under sound.
8. When you go to slide show view, you will see the word at the top of the page and the definition or sentence at the bottom.
Evaluation: Teachers can run the student slide show and use a rubric or checksheet to grade..best part...no papers!!